Marlay House was built about 1794 and today the 300-acre historic demesne provides a wonderful park space for the public. Located in Rathfarnham, Dublin, 9km from Dublin city centre, the park caters for various sporting activities, markets and events.
Located about 9km from Dublin City centre, Marlay Demesne or Park is found in Rathfarnham, at the foothills of the Dublin Mountains, but easily accessible by bus 16. Marlay is an extensive 300-acre historic demesne with many important features, including a restored Georgian House built in 1794, courtyards and regency walled gardens. Tours of the house are available . The Demesne is also home to lawns, fine old trees and a number of large ponds fed by the Little Dargle River as it runs through the park. It is known for mature woodland walks and extensive recreational spaces. It is also the starting point of the Wicklow Way hiking trail.
Marlay Demesne caters for various sporting activities, including football, soccer, tennis, par-3 golf, cricket, orienteering and running. The demesne also includes fine children’s play facilities, a BMX cycle track and multi-gauge miniature railways. During the summer free train rides are provided for children on Saturday afternoons. Visit the craft courtyard with home craft shops and relax at the coffee shops. A designated dog park is available. Markets take place on Saturdays & Sundays, while concerts and events are held at Marlay Park throughout the year.
You may also like
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsGarden of Remembrance
- Things to see & doParksIveagh Gardens
- Things to see & doParksSt. Stephen's Green
- Things to see & doParksBlessington Street Basin (Dublin's Secret Garden)
- Things to see & doParksPhoenix Park
- Things to see & doParksBlackrock Park
- Things to see & doParksEamonn Ceannt Park
- Things to see & doParksFairview Park