- Moderate trail
- Estimated time:
- 45 minutes
An achievable 1.5km trail that covers woodland paths, open rock and grass, County Dublin’s Barnaslingan Scalp Lookout Trail rewards walkers with Ice Age terrain, excellent views of the Great Sugar Loaf and plenty more.
Ascending 40m over its 1.5km length, this moderate Dublin trail takes just 45 minutes to complete. A narrow rocky pass, it formed thanks to an Ice Age glacial lake overflow. The landscape is dotted with granite outcrops and boulders, hinting at these ancient origins.
Consisting mainly of path, the loop includes a peaceful stretch through woodland and an open area of rock and grass as you reach the dramatic Scalp Lookout. One of the Dublin Mountains’ most spectacular natural features, The Scalp is an impressive geological crevice. The Scalp Lookout affords exceptional views of Tonduff and Maulin’s peaks as well as the glorious Great Sugar Loaf.
On the loop back you’ll pass some beautiful Beech, Corsican Pine and Noble Fir trees.
In nearby Kilternan, enjoy some refreshment and a well-deserved rest at any number of its cafés, pubs and restaurants.
You may also like
- Things to see & doHikingCliff Path Loop
- Things to see & doHikingThe Grand Canal Way
- Things to see & doHikingTicknock Fairy Castle Loop
- Things to see & doHikingCarrickgollogan - Lead Mines Way - (Orange)
- Things to see & doHikingBlack Linn Loop
- Things to see & doHikingYellow Umbrella Tours Ltd
- Things to see & doHikingA Spasso A Dublino - Italian Tour in Dublin
- Things to see & doHikingHidden Howth Experiences