Barnaslingan - Scalp Lookout Trail (Red)
- Loop trail
- Moderate trail
- 45 minutes
Ascending 40m over its 1.5km length, this moderate Dublin trail takes just 45 minutes to complete. A narrow rocky pass, it formed thanks to an Ice Age glacial lake overflow. The landscape is dotted with granite outcrops and boulders, hinting at these ancient origins.
Consisting mainly of path, the loop includes a peaceful stretch through woodland and an open area of rock and grass as you reach the dramatic Scalp Lookout. One of the Dublin Mountains’ most spectacular natural features, The Scalp is an impressive geological crevice. The Scalp Lookout affords exceptional views of Tonduff and Maulin’s peaks as well as the glorious Great Sugar Loaf.
On the loop back you’ll pass some beautiful Beech, Corsican Pine and Noble Fir trees.
In nearby Kilternan, enjoy some refreshment and a well-deserved rest at any number of its cafés, pubs and restaurants.
- Howth - Black Linn LoopThings to see & doHiking
- Ticknock - Fairy Castle LoopThings to see & doHiking
- Grand Canal WayThings to see & doHiking
- Carrickgollogan - Lead Mines Way - (Orange)Things to see & doHiking
- Howth - Cliff Path LoopThings to see & doHiking
- Walk DublinThings to see & doHiking
- The Dubline TrailThings to see & doHiking
- Dublin's Talking StatuesThings to see & doHiking
- Wicklow WayThings to see & doHiking
- Royal Canal WayThings to see & doParks
- Donabate Portrane Cliff WalkThings to see & doHiking
- Howth Walking ToursThings to see & doHiking