Barnaslingan - Scalp Lookout Trail (Red)
- Loop trail
- Moderate trail
- 45 minutes
Ascending 40m over its 1.5km length, this moderate Dublin trail takes just 45 minutes to complete. A narrow rocky pass, it formed thanks to an Ice Age glacial lake overflow. The landscape is dotted with granite outcrops and boulders, hinting at these ancient origins.
Consisting mainly of path, the loop includes a peaceful stretch through woodland and an open area of rock and grass as you reach the dramatic Scalp Lookout. One of the Dublin Mountains’ most spectacular natural features, The Scalp is an impressive geological crevice. The Scalp Lookout affords exceptional views of Tonduff and Maulin’s peaks as well as the glorious Great Sugar Loaf.
On the loop back you’ll pass some beautiful Beech, Corsican Pine and Noble Fir trees.
In nearby Kilternan, enjoy some refreshment and a well-deserved rest at any number of its cafés, pubs and restaurants.
- Things to see & doHikingCliff Path Loop
- Things to see & doHikingBlack Linn Loop
- Things to see & doHikingDublin Music Trails: The Liberties
- Things to see & doHikingDublin Music Trails: South City
- Things to see & doHikingThe Grand Canal Way
- Things to see & doHikingCarrickgollogan - Lead Mines Way - (Orange)
- Things to see & doHikingTicknock Fairy Castle Loop
- Things to see & doHikingHowth Walking Tours
- Things to see & doHikingDonabate Portrane Cliff Walk
- Things to see & doHikingYellow Umbrella Tours Ltd
- Things to see & doHikingHilltoptreks
- Things to see & doHikingBog of Frogs Trail