Located in the Carnegie Library, the Swords Museum and Fingal Genealogy Centre covers the North half of County Dublin. The small museum & heritage centre is in Swords village, 10 minutes From Dublin Airport.
The Society was founded in 1982 to promote, record and preserve the history of the North half of County Dublin (Fingal). The group at the Carnegie Library are available weekdays from 2pm to 4.30pm to facilitate those who wish to walk around Historic Swords or trace their family history. For a small fee, the Centre will do an initial search for your Dublin roots.
While there, visit Graveyards, explore place names and townlands, and purchase books on local history. Since 1993 the centre has recorded the memories of elderly people which are published in the 'Swords Voices' series each year. So far 25+ publications have been issued. Check out their online shop.
The town pf Swords was founded in 560 AD by St. Colmcille. The Round and Medieval Towers are still standing - remnants of his monastic settlement. Swords Castle c1200 is a focal point of Swords and is open to visitors, once home the Norman archbishop.
You may also like
- Things to see & doMuseumsChester Beatty
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Round Tower Clondalkin
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland-Decorative Arts & History
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland - Natural History
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsTrinity College
- Things to see & doMuseumsGPO Museum
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsExperience Glasnevin: Ireland's National Cemetery
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Jeanie Johnston