Follow in the footsteps of those who fled the Famine to North America on board the Jeanie Johnston, a replica famine ship situated in Dublin's Docklands. Hear the remarkable stories of the thousands of Irish people who embarked on a treacherous voyage in the hope of a better life.
Come aboard the Jeanie Johnston and you will be transported back in time to join your ancestors on their gruelling journey as they embarked on a voyage into the unknown in the hope of a better life in North America.
Docked on the Custom House Quay in Dublin's Docklands, the tour begins with a walk around the upper deck, where you will see the majestic masts, admire the craftsmanship and learn about the ship’s history. Take a deep breath and go below deck to experience the cramped quarters where up to 250 passengers spent most of their time, only emerging for a half an hour of fresh air each day.
It cost 3 pounds 10 shillings to flee the Famine. 100,000 people paid with their lives. Find out how they paid for it. Learn about their grim voyage in cramped and filthy conditions and the risks they faced from disease, starvation and disaster. Hear how they passed the time on their traumatic voyage and discover what fate awaited them.
Highlights of the Tour:
• Learn how the Famine forced millions to flee the country
• Retrace their gruelling journey
• Experience what life was like on board
• Uncover fascinating personal passenger stories
• Award-winning tour guides
• Meticulous craftsmanship
• Marvel at the beautiful tall ship
Nearby is the poignant Famine Memorial by Dublin sculptor Rowan Gillespie.
You may also like
- Things to see & doMuseumsChester Beatty
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland - Archaeology
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Round Tower Clondalkin
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland-Decorative Arts & History
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland - Natural History
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsTrinity College
- Things to see & doMuseumsGPO Museum
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsExperience Glasnevin: Ireland's National Cemetery