See & Do

Golf

The Royal Dublin Golf Club

The Royal Dublin Golf Club is steeped in the history and tradition of Irish golf. The Club was founded in 1885 in Phoenix Park, Dublin. It moved to Bull Island, North of Dublin city in 1889 and received its royal designation in 1891. It has been home to many championships, amateur and professional, with the highlights being three memorable Irish Opens staged from 1983 to 1985.

The Course is located on Bull Island, a Unesco nature reserve, accessed by passing over a wooden bridge. The location gives an excellent view of Dublin Bay, only 3 miles from Dublin city centre and a 20-minute drive from Dublin Airport.

In 1920 the course was redesigned by H.S. (Harry) Colt, the world-famous golf course architect from Sunningdale. Martin Hawtree modernised the design, resulting in a 7,269-yard, par-72 links of outstanding quality. Each hole presents a particular challenge to the keen golfer, with the 18th hole being a significant test of nerves because of the carry over of the "out of bounds" to the green.

The Royal Dublin Golf Club is widely accepted as one of the greatest links courses in the world.

See What's
Nearby?







TripAdvisor gif