Na Píobairí Uilleann (NPU), the Society of Uilleann Pipers was founded in 1968 when there were less than 100 uilleann pipers remaining. Now, over 45 years later, NPU is a thriving arts organisation dedicated to Sharing the Sound of Ireland.
Based at number 15 on Dublin's historic Henrietta Street , Na Píobairí Uilleann (NPU) continues to hold monthly events such as Session with the Pipers which takes place on the first Tuesday of every month and Notes and Narratives which takes place on the third Friday of the month. Our public performance programme also includes the Ace and Deuce of Piping, a yearly concert that features Irish music, song and dance and International Uilleann Piping Day, a worldwide celebration of the uilleann pipes that takes place in over 40 countries around the globe and is broadcast on NPU-TV
NPU is also busy catering for the expanding demand for regular tuition as well as releasing a number of significant publications and recordings. With demand for pipes considerably exceeding supply, a dedicated Training Centre – Pipecraft – has been established to deliver training in the very highly skilled craft of uilleann pipemaking. NPU’s commitment to tuition, both on a weekly basis at its premises and internationally, and throughout the year at summers schools and Tionóil remains to be at the heart of our brand strategy.
NPU recently launched a new look web site and two innovative new mobile apps Moving Cloud and Pipecraft, the first of their kind within the Irish traditional arts world.
Na Píobairí Uilleann's primary funding agencies include the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism, The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon and Dublin City Council.
You may also like
- Things to see & doAdventure activitiesGlencullen Adventure Park
- Things to see & doActivity toursAlternative Dublin City
- Things to see & doCastlesArdgillan Castle and Gardens
- Things to see & doCyclingThe Lazy Bike Tour Company Limited
- Things to see & doTheatre & events venuesViking Theatre
- Food & drinkFood & drink toursDublin Whiskey Tours
- Things to see & doHistoric Barracks & jailsKilmainham Gaol
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Round Tower Clondalkin