The Sussex is aptly named after the road it sits on, The Sussex Terrace.
Renovated by restaurateur duo Trevor Browne and Ger Foote, owners of Ranelagh’s eateries Tribeca, and Canal Bank Café which it sits opposite, expect a cosy and warm atmosphere coupled with hearty Irish food from this new restaurant gem.
The food is traditional with a nod to simple things done really well.
Expect organic fish of the day, the infamous smokies and home baked bread all with an Irish bistro feel. Chef David Coffey hails from Dublin, so the defiantly Irish menu comes natural to him. There are local and seasonal touches to the traditional food served.
Dishes like sauteed wild and field mushrooms on toast with melted Crozier blue cheese or Connemara leg lamb steak with minted peas, glazed carrots, cheesy gratin potato and jus are lovingly listed and served in the cosy surrounds.
Daily specials might include Clare Island Organic Salmon or Kettlyle Pork and Leek sausages. The beef and Guinness pie and fish pies are something of signature dishes these days. Similar fare is served casually in M O’Brien's Pub on a daily basis, which allows you to sample the seafood chowder or cockles and mussels with a pint of Guinness.
The Sussex is already favoured by locals, visitors and foodie’s. Domini Kemp, Food Journalist for The Irish Times said “Tuck into the mushrooms on toast and smokies, skull a pint of Guinness and enjoy tasty, Irish grub” Saturday October 9th The surroundings are cosy so expect antique features, light streaming through the flower boxed windows, and a flickering fire along with warm youthful friendly staff.
- Brasserie Sixty6Food & drinkRestaurants
- Bay RestaurantFood & drinkRestaurants
- Hungry Boba PizzeriaFood & drinkRestaurants
- Sweet ChurroFood & drinkRestaurants
- Nancy Hands Bar & RestaurantFood & drinkRestaurants
- Bartley's at The Grafton HotelFood & drinkRestaurants
- Botanical @ Dublin One HotelFood & drinkRestaurants
- BovinityFood & drinkRestaurants
- Vela Restaurant & BarFood & drinkRestaurants
- Cavistons Seafood Restaurant and Food EmporiumFood & drinkRestaurants
- Celtic Nights Dinner & ShowThings to see & doBar & pubs