See & Do

Parks & Gardens

Garden of Remembrance

The Garden of Remembrance is located in Dublin City at Parnell Square. A place of quiet remembrance and reflection, the garden is dedicated to the memory of all who gave their lives in the cause of Irish freedom.

It was first opened in 1749 as a pleasure garden that charged a fee to fund the Rotunda hospital.
In 1966 it was dedicated by Eamon DeValera, on the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising, "to all those who gave their lives in the cause of Irish Freedom". Designed by Dáithí Hanly, the cross-shaped pool has mosaics of broken weapons in the water, referencing the old Celtic tradition at the end of battle. Liam Mac Uistin’s poem called "We Saw A Vision" is written in English, French & Irish. The dramatic Children of Lir sculpture was added in 1971 and represents transformation. In May 2011 Queen Elizabeth II laid a wreath here, which was the first time a British monarch had visited Ireland for 100 years.

The garden is open daily throughout the year and admission is free. Dogs are not allowed in the Garden of Remembrance.

See What's
Nearby?







TripAdvisor gif