Hugh Lane Gallery
- Free to visit
- Rainy days
The Hugh Lane Gallery, Parnell Square, Dublin, is a must for art lovers. See Impressionist paintings by Manet, Monet, Degas, Pissarro and Morisot, as well as the stunning Francis Bacon Studio. Enjoy the wonderful, wide-ranging collection of Irish art, and the stained glass room displaying Harry Clarke’s gorgeous masterpiece, The Eve of Saint Agnes. Meet some of the famous Irish personalities in portraiture, including W.B Yeats who wrote five poems about the gallery.
The diverse and extensive contemporary collections include the Sean Scully Gallery, one of the most beautiful rooms dedicated to the work of a contemporary artist in Europe.
Francis Bacon’s legendary studio was relocated from London to Dublin in 1998 and is permanently on display, preserved exactly as it was. You will find fascinating unfinished works by Francis Bacon, items from his studio, an audio-visual room and touch screens allowing you a deeper look into the life and art of one of the most important figurative artists of the 20th century.
Hugh Lane Gallery is situated in the beautiful Charlemont House built in 1763 by the 1st Earl of Charlemont, James Caulfeild. Designed by Sir William Chambers, it still retains many of its original architectural features which complement the works on exhibition.
Facilities include a bookshop and café. There is a ramp offering access to those in wheelchairs and two designated parking spaces outside the gallery.
The gallery regularly has temporary exhibitions and new displays from its collections. It also has public tours of the gallery and workshops for children and adults. Sunday concerts have been a tradition at the gallery. Check the website for more details.
- Things to see & doGalleriesGerard Byrne Studio, Art Gallery & Artist Studio
- Things to see & doGalleriesThe Copper House Gallery
- Things to see & doGalleriesRUA RED South Dublin Arts Centre
- Things to see & doGalleriesOlivier Cornet Gallery
- Things to see & doGalleriesSol Art Gallery
- Things to see & doGalleriesThe LAB Gallery
- Things to see & doGalleriesTemple Bar Gallery + Studios
- Things to see & doGalleriesThe Molesworth Gallery
- Things to see & doGalleriesPhoto Museum Ireland
- Things to see & doGalleriesGreen Gallery
- Things to see & doGalleriesGormley's Fine Art
- Things to see & doGalleriesThe Doorway Gallery