Doheny & Nesbitt
Otherwise known in literary and debating circles as the 'The Doheny & Nesbitt School of Economics'! is situated a few hundred metres from the old Huguenot Cemetery on Merrion Row(1693). Probably the most photographed pub in Dublin, Doheny & Nesbitt is considered an institution for convivial gatherings, a sanctuary in which to escape the ravages of modern life, and a shrine to everything that is admirable in a public house.
As a Protected Structure and unique example of Victorian pub architecture, the Doheny & Nesbitt public house demonstrates that skilful conversation can rest easily alongside modern commercial demands.
If Ireland invented the pub, then Dublin's finest showpiece is that of Doheny & Nesbitt. The main bar retains the original counter, and almost all of the original fittings date from the 19th century. The pub's carved timber, aged wooden floors and ornate papier-mâché ceiling, recently restored, are universally admired.
Its snugs and mirrored partitions are perfect for scheduled conversation, and one can easily muse on Ireland's past Writers (Yeats, Behan, Shaw) and politicians debating and plotting in these hallowed surroundings.
Writers and politicians from the nearby Dáil or House of Parliament still frequent this pub, as do journalists, lawyers, architects and actors, along with a myriad of visitors from around the globe.
Lunch 12 p.m. - 3 p.m. daily, all day full Irish breakfast also available. Evening Menu 5 p.m. - 8.pm. Saturday Menu 12 p.m. - 8 p.m
Free Traditional Irish Music Sessions take place every Sunday at 8pm from early May until the end of September.
- Food & drinkBar & PubsThe Ivy Dawson Street
- Food & drinkBar & PubsBotanical @ Dublin One Hotel
- Food & drinkBar & PubsMerry Ploughboy Irish Music Pub
- Food & drinkBar & PubsCHQ Dublin
- Food & drinkBar & PubsBar Rua
- Food & drinkBar & PubsElephant & Castle Rathmines
- Food & drinkBar & PubsElephant & Castle Beacon
- Food & drinkBar & PubsThe Galway Hooker Bar & Restaurant Dublin
- Food & drinkBar & PubsThe Circular Bar
- Food & drinkBar & PubsBartley's
- Food & drinkBar & PubsThe Guinness Open Gate Brewery
- Food & drinkBar & PubsThe Bridge 1859