See & Do

Religious Sites

The Black Church

  • Address

    Dublin Tourism Information Centre, Suffolk Street

  • Address

    St. Mary's Church, Dorset Street

  • Web

  • Phone


In 1830, St. Mary’s Chapel-of-Ease was built in Dublin City Centre for the Church of Ireland community. The structure was designed by John Semple and constructed using calp stone, a dark-coloured material that gives the chapel its nickname, the Black Church.

It has curved rather than straight walls on the interior, creating the effect of a single, large arch.

The Black Church closed in the 1960s and now houses several businesses.

See What's

TripAdvisor gif