Situated in the heartland of Drumcondra, this pub has been a drinking oasis for over ninety years and was first licensed in 1907 under the guardianship of a Mr. Fagan.
This old pub, like the village of Drumcondra itself has been capturing a lot of attention in recent times for undergoing a renewal and renovation in architectural renaissance.
At the turn of the century Drumcondra was on the outskirts of Dublin and a very fashionable and sought after place to live. Many well known Victorian painters and watercolourists resided in the area and they would frequent the Botanical Gardens.
On March 2, 1894 James Joyce, one of ten children, moved with his parents to No 2 Millbourne Avenue, Drumcondra. When the Joyce’s lived here the population in Drumcondra was only eight thousand.
Drumcondra Road was originally on the route of one of the four great roads of Ancient Ireland, the Slighe Mhidhluachra, which entered the city from the North.
Although restored in recent times, this house is one of the great Victorian pubs. Quaint, unpretentious and relaxing. This pub captures the austerity of Victorian life. The people of Drumcondra are very proud of this pub and deservedly so.
You may also like
- Food & drinkBar & PubsThe Bridge 1859
- Food & drinkBar & PubsRascals Brewing Company
- Food & drinkBar & PubsThe Guinness Open Gate Brewery
- Food & drinkBar & PubsBartley's
- Food & drinkBar & PubsThe Circular Bar
- Food & drinkBar & PubsThe Galway Hooker Bar & Restaurant Dublin
- Food & drinkBar & PubsElephant & Castle Beacon
- Food & drinkBar & PubsDollard Market