- Adult €6, Senior €5, Family €12, Children under 12 €3
The National Maritime Museum, Dún Laoghaire is a unique hands-on museum housed in the impressive 180 year old Mariners’ Church, only a few minutes’ walk from the DART station. It showcases a wide range of objects, pictures, paintings and documents relating to Ireland’s colourful maritime heritage, from the early days to modern times.
The National Maritime Museum, Dun Laoghaire is a unique hands-on museum housed in the impressive 180-year-old Mariners’ Church, only a few minutes’ walk from the DART station. In the early 1940s Col. Tony Lawlor founded the Maritime Institute of Ireland to preserve and present all aspects of marine life. The ever-growing collection found a home in the Mariners' Church in 1974. It showcases a wide range of objects, instruments, pictures, paintings and documents relating to Ireland’s colourful maritime heritage, from the early days to modern times.
You'll explore are ship models, instruments, engines and all the paraphernalia necessary to cross the seas. See the 10-tonne revolving Baily Lighthouse Optic (mentioned by James Joyce). How did they put the ships into all the bottles? View the Titanic exhibit, the re-created Radio Room, the Royal Navy Prisoners' Docks and the War Memorial. Come try out the electrified steam engine, learn how to lift heavy weights, tie sailors' knots & even take a selfie with a Pirate! The heroes and villains at sea all have a place in the gallery.
The Research Library amd Museum Shop of marine-related gifts are also worth a look (check out seaweed cosmetics and food items). There is something for the maritime enthusiast and casual visitor alike.
Wheelchair accessible (except for the gallery).
The church spire of the museum (beside the Royal Marine Hotel) is clearly visible from most places in Dun Laoghaire.
You may also like
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Jeanie Johnston
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsExperience Glasnevin: Ireland's National Cemetery
- Things to see & doMuseumsGPO Museum
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsTrinity College
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland - Natural History
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland-Decorative Arts & History
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Round Tower Clondalkin
- Things to see & doMuseumsChester Beatty