National Maritime Museum of Ireland
- Family friendly
- Rainy days
The National Maritime Museum, Dun Laoghaire is a unique hands-on museum housed in the impressive 180-year-old Mariners’ Church, only a few minutes’ walk from the DART station. In the early 1940s Col. Tony Lawlor founded the Maritime Institute of Ireland to preserve and present all aspects of marine life. The ever-growing collection found a home in the Mariners' Church in 1974. It showcases a wide range of objects, instruments, pictures, paintings and documents relating to Ireland’s colourful maritime heritage, from the early days to modern times.
You'll explore are ship models, instruments, engines and all the paraphernalia necessary to cross the seas. See the 10-tonne revolving Baily Lighthouse Optic (mentioned by James Joyce). How did they put the ships into all the bottles? View the Titanic exhibit, the re-created Radio Room, the Royal Navy Prisoners' Docks and the War Memorial. Come try out the electrified steam engine, learn how to lift heavy weights, tie sailors' knots & even take a selfie with a Pirate! The heroes and villains at sea all have a place in the gallery.
The Research Library amd Museum Shop of marine-related gifts are also worth a look (check out seaweed cosmetics and food items). There is something for the maritime enthusiast and casual visitor alike.
Wheelchair accessible (except for the gallery).
The church spire of the museum (beside the Royal Marine Hotel) is clearly visible from most places in Dun Laoghaire.
- National Museum of Ireland-Decorative Arts & HistoryThings to see & doMuseums
- Chester BeattyThings to see & doMuseums
- National Museum of Ireland - ArchaeologyThings to see & doMuseums
- Museum of Literature IrelandThings to see & doMuseums
- EPIC The Irish Emigration MuseumThings to see & doMuseums
- Croke Park StadiumThings to see & doMuseums
- National Museum of Ireland - Natural HistoryThings to see & doMuseums
- GPO MuseumThings to see & doMuseums
- Trinity CollegeThings to see & doPublic buildings
- Experience Glasnevin: Ireland's National CemeteryThings to see & doStatues & monuments
- The Round Tower ClondalkinThings to see & doMuseums
- The Jeanie JohnstonThings to see & doMuseums