The Fusiliers' Arch, a war memorial, can be found at the entrance to St Stephen's Green Park just off Grafton Street in Dublin City centre.
Fusiliers' Arch was built as a reminder of Irish participation in the second Boer War, and many Dubliners were among their ranks.
Unveiled in 1907, the monument was inaugurated by the Duke of Connacht followed by a luncheon in the nearby Shelbourne Hotel. Later, a speech was given by the Earl of Meath, who was one of those subscribed to the fund for the memorial.
A list of all the battles in South Africa at which the Royal Dublin Fusiliers participated can be seen on the arch, along with more than two hundred names of the men who lost their lives in the conflict.
Fusiliers' Arch was damaged during the Easter Rising in 1916 by British armed forces who were shooting from the roof top at a nearby hotel. The bullet marks can still be seen on the monument today.
You may also like
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsExperience Glasnevin: Ireland's National Cemetery
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsGarden of Remembrance
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsSamuel Beckett Bridge
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsSir John Gray Monument
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsGeorge Bernard Shaw
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsMeeting Place
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsJames Connolly
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsWolfe Tone