Royal Hospital Kilmainham
- Family friendly
The Royal Hospital Kilmainham stands on the site of the 7th century Early Christian settlement of Cill Maighneann, from which the area of Kilmainham derives its name. In 1174, Strongbow developed the site replacing the Christian settlement with a medieval hospital and monastery of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers).
Built in 1680, the Royal Hospital Kilmainham is the oldest classical building in Ireland and was based on Les Invalides in Paris. It contains a chapel, great hall, formal herbal gardens and burial grounds. When it was built, the Royal Hospital Kilmainham housed just 20 people although it was designed for 400 and at times through history it housed up to 2,500. In 1690, the hospital began looking after army pensioners from the Battle of the Boyne.
In 1922 the Royal Hospital Kilmainham was handed over to the Irish Free State. It served as Garda Headquarters from 1930 to 1950 but fell into disrepair. It was then extensively renovated in the 1980s. In 1991 the Royal Hospital Kilmainham became home to the Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA) which explains all of the stunning sculptures displayed around the hospital’s 48 acres.
The Royal Hospital Kilmainham has been used as a filming location for many movies and TV shows, including The Madman and the Professor, The Tudors and Penny Dreadful.
Today they host one prestigious events such as weddings, conferences, product launches, gala banquets and exhibitions. The site offers gardens, a bookshop, talks and lectures, a café and unlimited free car and coach parking. Wheelchair access and a cloakroom are available.
Dogs are not allowed in Bully's Acre cemetery, the Officers' Graveyard or the Formal Walled Gardens.
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsTrinity College
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsUCD
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsLeinster House
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsGovernment Buildings
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsNational Basketball Arena
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsThe Four Courts
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsDublin City Hall
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsMansion House
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsWood Quay
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsGeneral Post Office