Dalkey Castle & Heritage Centre
- Family friendly
- Rainy days
Dalkey Castle is situated in the heart of the picturesque coastal heritage town of Dalkey, half an hour south of Dublin.
Travel through the Ages! Our enthusiastic staff will lead the visitors through the different eras around the full site, indoors and outdoors. Living History actors will bring the history to life in a fun and entertaining way. The Archer demonstrates his great skill outdoors with the Longbow and Crossbow from the 1300s. Cookery and Barber Surgery are firmly planted in the 1500s when Henry 8th was in charge and Dalkey was within the Pale. No doubt there will be references in their performances to past plagues, especially the one in 1575, when all the inhabitants around here decamped to Dalkey Island to avoid the Bubonic plague.
See the Murder Hole and view St Begnet’s, an Early Christian Church & Graveyard dating back to 700A.D. Today's state-of-the-art Heritage Centre has displays and historical information in twelve languages. Visitors can learn about the site’s history from Early Christian through all the eras to the present day.
The Centre also houses a Writers’ Gallery which celebrates the work of 45 great Irish writers and creative artists from Joyce to Bono and Beckett to Maeve Binchy. The Castle is wheelchair accessible in the Heritage centre, but not in the battlements.
All tours must be booked online.
- Things to see & doCastlesRathfarnham Castle
- Things to see & doCastlesSwords Castle
- Things to see & doCastlesMalahide Castle and Gardens
- Things to see & doCastlesHowth Castle
- Things to see & doCastlesDrimnagh Castle
- Things to see & doCastlesArdgillan Castle and Gardens
- Things to see & doCastlesDublin Castle
- Things to see & doCastlesPhoenix Park Visitor Centre - Ashtown Castle