The Book of Kells
- Rainy days
Housed within the Old Library building, at Dublin City's Trinity College, the Book of Kells is a precious 9th century manuscript, featuring an exquisite combination of ornate Latin text and intricate illuminations. Discover how the world’s most famous medieval manuscript was made and learn about the rich symbolism behind it. You will also gain access to the Long Room, one of the world’s most beautiful libraries and home to 250,000 of Trinity College’s most ancient books.
On exploring the Long Room, get a close up view of the Brian Boru Harp, Ireland’s oldest surviving harp. You will also see a rare original copy of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic, a seminal text in Irish history which influenced the foundation of the Irish Republic as a sovereign independent state.
The Book of Kells is open 7 days a week. Guided walking tours of Trinity’s 47 acre campus are also available 7 days a week. For the best value, you can purchase a Book of Kells and Campus Tour bundle. This includes both entry to the Book of Kells and a guided walking tour. Entry is timed and it is recommended that you purchase your tickets online in advance.
You may also like
- Things to see & doMuseumsChester Beatty
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland - Natural History
- Things to see & doMuseumsEPIC The Irish Emigration Museum
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland - Archaeology
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland-Decorative Arts & History
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Round Tower Clondalkin
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsExperience Glasnevin: Ireland's National Cemetery
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Jeanie Johnston