- Family friendly
- Rainy days
In Skerries, a small coastal town 30km north of Dublin City, there are two windmills and a watermill. This unique collection of mills is one of Ireland’s foremost tourist attractions and industrial heritage centres. Guided tours are available daily and it is a real hidden gem.
The story of stone ground milling in Skerries can be traced to the early 16th century when the lands belonged to the Priory of Holmpatrick, an Augustinian monastic foundation. Milling continued in Skerries until the early years of the 20th century and a bakery, which existed by 1840, was producing breads and confectionery until the mid 1980’s.
Following a ten year restoration project undertaken by Fingal County Council, FÁS and the local community, the centre opened to the public daily throughout the year. The mills, with associated mill pond, mill races and wet lands, are now a focal point for Skerries Town Park. The site commands wonderful views of the coast and off shore islands.
Visitors begin their guided tour of the site in the four storey watermill building, where they can try their hand at grinding and observe the waterwheel at work. A walk through the corn field brings the tour to one of the other windmills. The watermill also houses the Watermill Café, an award winning craft shop and an exhibition space, which can be accessed independently.
The last tour takes place one hour before closing time. Visitors can avail of the ample free parking and the literature is available in Irish, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- Things to see & doMuseumsCroke Park Stadium
- Things to see & doMuseumsChester Beatty
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland - Archaeology
- Things to see & doMuseumsGPO Museum
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Round Tower Clondalkin
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Jeanie Johnston
- Things to see & doMuseumsMuseum of Literature Ireland
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsTrinity College
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland-Decorative Arts & History
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland - Natural History
- Things to see & doMuseumsEPIC The Irish Emigration Museum
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsExperience Glasnevin: Ireland's National Cemetery