The Grand Canal Way
- Linear trail
- Easy trail
- 5 days
Unfolding from Lucan, County Dublin, through rural County Kildare and finishing at Shannon Harbour, County Offaly, this flat trail takes five days to complete. Of course, with so many welcoming towns and villages along the way, walkers have their pick of access points should they wish to take on shorter sections.
Following grassy towpaths, gravel and sometimes tarmac canal-side roads, the trail starts at Lucan Bridge near Adamstown and stretches all the way to the village of Shannon Harbour – the very place that Ireland’s longest river and the Grand Canal meet.
Along the way you’ll spot heritage gems like centuries-old and still-functioning canal locks and carefully-restored lock-keepers cottages.
Much of the route’s landscape has been untouched by modern agriculture, making it a veritable natural oasis.
Take your pick of friendly towns and villages to either join the route from or to stop in for great dining or accommodation options.
- Things to see & doHikingBlack Linn Loop
- Things to see & doHikingCliff Path Loop
- Things to see & doHikingTicknock Fairy Castle Loop
- Things to see & doHikingCarrickgollogan - Lead Mines Way - (Orange)
- Things to see & doHikingBarnaslingan - Scalp Lookout Trail (Red)
- Things to see & doHikingEI Adventures – Walking, Hiking and Bike Tours
- Things to see & doHikingMountaintrails
- Things to see & doHikingHidden Howth Experiences