Railway Preservation Society Of Ireland
- Family friendly
The Railway Preservation Society of Ireland (RPSI) in Dublin was formed in 1964 to preserve in working order steam locomotives (and other rolling stock built for the Irish railway system) from 1850 to the present day.
The RPSI maintains a museum at Whitehead, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland, which is open to the public. The RPSI, with its headquarters at Whitehead Excursion Station, County Antrim, operates trains from both Dublin and Belfast.
It operates steam hauled excursions (and sometimes diesel) over the present day Irish railway network for families and enthusiasts.
Details of the annual enthusiasts’ weekend railtour in May are usually available on the website Trains page
at the beginning of the year.
The society is a not for profit charity managed by volunteers. All funds from ticket sales, shop sales, membership fees or donations go directly to keeping Ireland's steam railway heritage operating for future generations.
Their best known trains are the extremely popular 'Santa Special', 'Sea Breeze' and 'Portrush Flyer'; these trains run during December. Please ring or see website for information.
All Society trains have a dining car serving tea, coffee and light snacks. A full bar service is also provided.
A limited number of prams and buggies can be carried but they must be folded and stowed.
All trains have toilet facilities.
The trains have limited facilities for disabled passengers, if the passenger can be transferred to a seat and the wheelchair folded.
- Things to see & doPublic buildingsTrinity College
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland - Natural History
- Things to see & doMuseumsEPIC The Irish Emigration Museum
- Things to see & doStatues & monumentsExperience Glasnevin: Ireland's National Cemetery
- Things to see & doMuseumsCroke Park Stadium
- Things to see & doMuseumsChester Beatty
- Things to see & doMuseumsGPO Museum
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Round Tower Clondalkin
- Things to see & doMuseumsThe Jeanie Johnston
- Things to see & doMuseumsMuseum of Literature Ireland
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland - Archaeology
- Things to see & doMuseumsNational Museum of Ireland-Decorative Arts & History