The National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, were founded by the Royal Dublin Society in 1795.
The Gardens, 19.5 hectares on the south bank of the Tolka contain many attractive features including an arboretum, sensory garden, rock garden and burren area, large pond, extensive herbaceous borders, student garden and annual display of decorative plants including a rare example of Victorian carpet bedding.
Glasshouses include: the beautifully restored curvilinear range, Great Palm House, Alpine House, Cactus House and Fern House.
Notable specimens include a fine weeping Atlantic cedar, a lofty Zelkova from the Caucasus, native and hybrid strawberry trees and the "Last Rose of Summer" of the famous ballad.
Mid February - Mid March: Daily 9.00am-6.00pm
Mid November - Mid February: Daily 9.00am-4.30pm
Glasshouses and Alpine House open restricted hours.
General access is free but there is a charge for parking. Guided tours cost €2 per person, available by prior arrangement.
Free guided tours: Sunday: 12.30pm-2.30pm
OPW Yearly Heritage Cards available here!
Glasshouses and Gardens are accessible for people with disabilities but there are some steep gradients.
Education and Visitor Centre
(Wheelchair accessible), audio visual presentation, cycle, coach and car parking. Only guide dogs allowed.
How to Get There:
Buses 13, 13A, 19, & 19A(O’Connell Street)