See & Do

  • The Old Glebe


The House is noted in Maurice Craig's Irish classical houses, Lewis's Topographical Dictionary (1837) and Elringtons Ball's History of Dublin (1905).

The Old Glebe formed part of The Newcastle Church of Ireland Estate until recent times. The ruins of the Old Tower House in the grounds date to approx 1380-1450 and are noted in the ancient records of the Pale.

In 1641, Newcastle was headquarters of the Irish Forces but records from the life of the Earl of Ormond state that on an expedition to Co. Kildare in the same year Newcase was burned, as a result the Tower House lost its roof.

The literary figure Jonathan Swift is associated with The Old Glebe and an ancient Yew Tree in the grounds is known as Deans Tree. The Old Glebe has six acers of gardens.

Open: May 1- June 30, Mon-Sat, Aug 14-27,10am-2pm, Tours daily 10am-11am, 11am-12noon, 12noon-1pm. Note: It is advised to contact the property directly prior to making arrangements to visit to advoid disappointent.


The Old Glebe, Newcastle