In 1830, St. Mary’s Chapel-of-Ease was built in Dublin City Centre for the Church of Ireland community. The structure was designed by John Semple and constructed using calp stone, a dark-coloured material that gives the chapel its nickname, the Black Church. It has curved rather than straight walls on the interior, creating the effect of a single, large arch. The Black Church closed in the 1960s and now houses several businesses.
Dublin Tourism Information Centre, Suffolk Street
St. Mary's Church, Dorset Street