See & Do

  • St Michan's Church

Religious Sites

St Michan’s, which was founded in 1095, was the only church located on the north side of Dublin City until 1686. The present structure dates from 1685 and was renovated in 1825. The interior, which has changed little since Victorian times, still has its original organ. Another notable artefact is the Penitant’s Desk, commissioned in 1724 and used for public confession.

Below the church are five long burial vaults containing the mummified remains of many of Dublin’s most influential families from 1600 to 1800. In the vaults, guests can view the death mask of Wolfe Tone and the coffins of the 1798 rebels John and Henry Sheares.

Full guided tours of vaults with Tour Guide. Guide leaflets in various languages. Gift shop with books, postcards and souvenirs.


Address

Church Street, Dublin City

Phone

+353(0)18724154









  • Operating Hours

    1 Mar - 31 Oct

    MON 10:00 - 16:45
    MON closed 12:45 - 14:00
    TUES 10:00 - 16:45
    TUES closed 12:45 - 14:00
    WED 10:00 - 16:45
    WED closed 12:45 - 14:00
    THU 10:00 - 16:45
    THU closed 12:45 - 14:00
    FRI 10:00 - 16:45
    FRI closed 12:45 - 14:00
    SAT 10:00 - 16:00
    SUN closed
  • Operating Hours

    1 Nov - 31 Mar

    MON 12:30 - 15:30
    TUES 12:30 - 15:30
    WED 12:30 - 15:30
    THU 12:30 - 15:30
    FRI 12:30 - 15:30
    SAT 10:30 - 16:00
    SUN closed

(subject to change)