See & Do

  • Newman University Church, Our Lady Seat of Wisdom

Religious Sites

The origins of the Newman University Church date back to 1856, when Englishman John Henry Newman founded the church for the Catholic University of Ireland.

Newman began his religious career as a priest in the Church of England, but in 1845 he entered into the Catholic Church. After he addressed the anti-Catholic sentiments of an ex-Dominican friar, he was convicted of libel and sentenced to pay a fee. Catholics collected money for Newman, and with the excess, he established the church.

The structure features a Romanesque porch, wall plaques, an ante-church area and a semi-dome above the sanctuary, which was inspired by the Church of San Clemente in Rome.


Address

87a St Stephen’s Green South, Dublin City

Phone

+353(0)14759674









  • Operating Hours

    1 Jan - 31 Dec

    MON 09:00 - 17:00
    TUES 09:00 - 17:00
    WED 09:00 - 17:00
    THU 09:00 - 17:00
    FRI 09:00 - 17:00
    SAT 09:00 - 17:00
    SUN 09:00 - 13:00

(subject to change)