The origins of the Newman University Church date back to 1856, when Englishman John Henry Newman founded the church for the Catholic University of Ireland. Newman began his religious career as a priest in the Church of England, but in 1845 he entered into the Catholic Church. After he addressed the anti-Catholic sentiments of an ex-Dominican friar, he was convicted of libel and sentenced to pay a fee. Catholics collected money for Newman, and with the excess, he established the church. The structure features a Romanesque porch, wall plaques, an ante-church area and a semi-dome above the sanctuary, which was inspired by the Church of San Clemente in Rome.
87a St Stephen’s Green South, Dublin City
1 Jan - 31 Dec
(subject to change)