South City Markets/George's Street ArcadeSouth City Markets was Dublin’s first purpose built Victorian Shopping Centre opened in 1876. Designed by distinguished British architects Lockwood & Mauson South City Market was formally opened by the Lord Mayor, Sir George Moyers LLD in 1881. Tragedy was to befall South City Market on August 27th 1892 when the massive city fire that date devastated the whole building. Miraculously no one was killed but the shopkeepers lost their premises and overhead homes, and the stallholders suffered even greater financial loss through their stock not having been insured. . The Centre was re-built in the same style, using local labour and craftsmen, and was re-opened on September 13th 1894. South City Market or George’s Street Arcade, as it is more commonly known today, has traded continuously since then, with its fortunes oscillating up and down, reflecting the varying economic circumstances of the city down through the years. The present owners, the Layden Family Group, acquired the property in late 1992 from Dublin City Properties, and through meticulous management of tenant mix and low-key ongoing refurbishment of the building in sympathy with the original Victorian style, South City Market has never being in a healthier state. There are over 40 independent retailers in the Arcade at present and as such is a hub of vibrancy, to the eclectic mix of locals and tourists alike.
South Great Georges Street