Merrion Square Open Day
In celebration of Heritage Week (23rd-31st August) why not pop down to the Merrion Square Open Day and discover more about this idyllic Georgian corner of the capital.
With the stunning houses lining the square a veritable treasure trove of history, heritage and culture, there’s plenty to explore behind those ornate doors - and most of it free too.
Highlights of the open day programme include:
- Free entry all day to the wonderfully preserved Georgian House Museum (usually €6).
- Guided tours of the Irish Architectural Archive.
- Free entry into the elusive National University of Ireland at 49 Merrion Square. Opening only one day a year, visitors can see the stunning murals recently discovered during a restoration project.
- Explore the only house on the picturesque square with a fully intact Georgian garden at number 63. With free tours of the house and garden, there’ll also be a special pop up coffee shop for a hot drop.
- Seize a one-off opportunity to roam the house Daniel O’Connell lived in for most of his political life, at number 58, now the University of Notre Dame in Ireland. This stunning Georgian house isn’t usually open to the public so grab a free tour while you can.
- For the art buffs, there will be a private guided tour of the Merrion Hotel’s incredible art collection. This tour is ticketed.
- Round off the day in Merrion Square Park’s brand new Giant’s Garden playground or take a stroll around the leafy park and see the outdoor exhibitions from the Vestibule festival.
For more information on free and ticketed events, and the day's extensive programme, see merrionsquare.ie.