Dublin A to Z


  • The Black Church

Religious Sites

addressDublin Tourism Information Centre, Suffolk Street

addressSt. Mary's Church, Dorset Street


Phone+353(0)16057700

Webwww.visitdublin.com

In 1830, St. Mary’s Chapel-of-Ease was built in Dublin City Centre for the Church of Ireland community. The structure was designed by John Semple and constructed using calp stone, a dark-coloured material that gives the chapel its nickname, the Black Church.

It has curved rather than straight walls on the interior, creating the effect of a single, large arch.

The Black Church closed in the 1960s and now houses several businesses.