Swords Castle was built as a summer palace for Archbishop Comyn. The Archbishop was also a Norman baron who had his own constable resident in the castle. The constable was empowered to hold court and even to pass the death sentence. For this purpose he had a gallows outside the town on the Brackenstown Road.
The castle was in ruin since 1324 A.D. and is currently being restored for the purposes of a heritage centre.