Arbour Hill Cemetery
The military cemetery at Arbour Hill is the last resting place of 14 of the executed leaders of the insurrection of 1916. Among those buried there are Patrick Pearse, James Connolly and Major John Mc Bride. The leaders were executed in Kilmainham and then their bodies were transported to Arbour Hill, where they were buried.
The graves are located under a low mound on a terrace of Wicklow granite in what was once the old prison yard. The gravesite is surrounded by a limestone wall on which their names are inscribed in Irish and English. On the prison wall opposite the gravesite is a plaque with the names of other people who gave their lives in 1916.
The adjoining Church of the Sacred Heart, which is the prison chapel for Arbour Hill prison, is maintained by the Department of Defence. At the rear of the church lies the old cemetery, where lie the remains of British military personnel who died in the Dublin area in the 19th and early 20th century.
A doorway beside the 1916 memorial gives access to the Irish United Nations Veterans Association house and memorial garden.
Arbour Hill is located at the rear of the National Museum of Ireland, Collins Barracks, which currently houses an exhibition of 1916 related material.
All year round:
Mon-Fri 08.00 - 16.00
Sat 11.00 - 16.00
Sun 09.30 - 16.00
Average Length of Visit: 30 - 45 minutes
Location: Rear of the National Museum of Ireland, Collins Barracks, Dublin 7.
Bus Route(s): No's. 37, 38, 39 from city centre.
Guided Tours: No
Leaflet/Guide book: None
Photography / Video allowed: Yes. Commercial photography requires permission