Recommended for you:

ADDRESS

Trinity College Library, Trinity College, College Street , County Dublin

CONTACT

+353 1 896 2320
bookofkells@tcd.ie

WEB

www.bookofkells.ie

Share

Book of Kells

The Book of Kells was written around the year 800 AD and is one of the most beautifully illuminated manuscripts in the world.

Its 680 pages of vellum contain the Latin texts of the Four Gospels. It was written around 800AD by Irish monks, probably begun at a monastery in Iona, an island off Scotland and finished at Kells, Co. Meath. It was later buried in the ground for fear of the Vikings and after being eventually rediscovered it was deposited for safe keeping in Trinity around 1653

It has been on display in the Old Library at Trinity College Dublin from the mid 19th century, and attracts over 500,000 visitors a year. Since 1953 it has been bound in four volumes. Two volumes are on public view, one opened to display a major decorated page, and one to show two pages of script. The volumes are changed at regular intervals.

The Book of Kells is housed in the Old Library building. The Old Library is wheelchair accessible.

Admission to the Old Library includes the following:

- The Book of Kells
- Turning Darkness into Light exhibition
- Long Room
-Current Long Room exhibition

Admission Prices:
Adult: €9.00
Students/OAP: €8.00
Family Ticket: €18
Under 12 years old Free.

Opening Times:
Monday - Saturday 09.30am - 5.00pm
Sunday (May-September) 09.30am - 4.30pm
Sunday (October-April) 12.00 - 4.30pm



Book of Kells

ADDRESS

Trinity College Library, Trinity College, College Street , County Dublin

CONTACT

+353 1 896 2320
bookofkells@tcd.ie

WEB

www.bookofkells.ie

Share

The Book of Kells was written around the year 800 AD and is one of the most beautifully illuminated manuscripts in the world.

Its 680 pages of vellum contain the Latin texts of the Four Gospels. It was written around 800AD by Irish monks, probably begun at a monastery in Iona, an island off Scotland and finished at Kells, Co. Meath. It was later buried in the ground for fear of the Vikings and after being eventually rediscovered it was deposited for safe keeping in Trinity around 1653

It has been on display in the Old Library at Trinity College Dublin from the mid 19th century, and attracts over 500,000 visitors a year. Since 1953 it has been bound in four volumes. Two volumes are on public view, one opened to display a major decorated page, and one to show two pages of script. The volumes are changed at regular intervals.

The Book of Kells is housed in the Old Library building. The Old Library is wheelchair accessible.

Admission to the Old Library includes the following:

- The Book of Kells
- Turning Darkness into Light exhibition
- Long Room
-Current Long Room exhibition

Admission Prices:
Adult: €9.00
Students/OAP: €8.00
Family Ticket: €18
Under 12 years old Free.

Opening Times:
Monday - Saturday 09.30am - 5.00pm
Sunday (May-September) 09.30am - 4.30pm
Sunday (October-April) 12.00 - 4.30pm



Elsewhere on visit Dublin