Rory O'More Bridge
Rory O'More Bridge is a road bridge spanning the River Liffey in Dublin, Ireland and joining Watling Street (by the Guinness grounds) to Ellis Street and the north quays.
The original wooden bridge on this site, built in 1670, was officially named Barrack Bridge. However, it became known locally as Bloody Bridge, following several deaths resulting from violence after the arrest of ferrymen who attempted to destroy the bridge (in an ill-fated attempt to protect their livelihoods).
The timber bridge was replaced by a stone bridge in 1704, which was replaced in turn by the present day structure.
Designed by George Halpin, the bridge was fabricated at the foundry of Robert Daglish in St Helens, Lancashire, from cast iron (with a wrought iron deck) and is supported on granite abutments.The bridge was completed in 1859 and opened as the Victoria & Albert Bridge (or the Queen Victoria Bridge).
The bridge was renamed in 1939 for Rory O'More, one of the key figures from the plot to capture Dublin as part of the Irish Rebellion of 1641.