Dublin Unitarian Church
In the 1850s, before the retirement of Dr Drummond, a wealthy shipowner and member of the Strand Street congregation, Thomas Wilson, bequeathed £2,330 towards building a new church. His father had been George Washington’s aide-de-camp in the American War of Independence, and later the USA’s first consul in Dublin.
In 1857 a site was purchased on the west side of St Stephen’s Green, which a hundred years earlier had been known as the “French walk”, because many French Huguenots owned property there. The site had once been occupied by the Synges, a remarkable ecclesiastical family which over three generations gave five bishops to the Church of Ireland (and, in the 20th century, was to give Ireland and the world one of the most celebrated playwrights of rural life, J.M.Synge.
Click here for more information on events at Dublin Unitarian Church