Aldborough House is amongst the most important surviving historic houses in Dublin. Located on Portland Row, was the last great mansion to be built in Dublin city during the second half of the 18th century.
Aldborough House was built in 1796 by Edward Stratford, second Earl of Aldborough and Viscount Amiens, from whom Aldborough Place, Amiens Street and Stratford Row receive their names.
Aldborough House, Dublin, soon passed out of the hands of the family and has had a chequered history since. It became a Feinaglian School, and afterwards a military barrack, branch of the General Post Office, in the ownership of IMRO, and then into the ownership of a number of private developers during the Celtic tiger. Artists have had studios there since the ownership of IMRO, but it now lies empty. It is a listed building with some important architectural features ,notably the Great Staircase of stone.
It fronts onto Portland Row and stands at the junction of that street with the North Strand, Amiens Street, Gloucester Street and Seville Place. The house and grounds form a complete and extensive block or square, fronting Portland Row, Gloucester Street, Buckingham Street, and Meredyth Place.