Previously King’s Bridge, the cast-iron construction dating from 1828, once led horse-drawn traffic to Kingsbridge Station renamed Heuston in 1941. It now carries trams and pedestrians; the newer Frank Sherwin Bridge opposite is for road traffic.
Originally designed by George Papworth to carry horsedrawn traffic, the foundation stone was laid on December 12, 1827. The iron castings for the bridge were produced at the Royal Phoenix Iron Works in nearby Parkgate Street. Construction completed in 1828, and the bridge was opened with the name Kings Bridge to commemorate a visit by King George IV in 1821
The bridge has an overall width of just under 9 meters