Saint Mary’s was constituted in 1825 from Saint Mary’s Chapel Liffey Street, whose pre-Reformation monastic antecedent was the Cistercian Abbey of Saint Mary’s founded in the twelfth century. The present church is built on a site which was part of the ancient monastic foundation. The church was dedicated on 14th November 1825, the Feast of Saint Laurence O’Toole, Patron Saint of the Archdiocese of Dublin under the patronage of the 'Conception of the Virgin'. Saint Mary’s Pro-Cathedral is one of the four mensal parishes of the Archbishop of Dublin. From time to time the Pro-Cathedral hosts events such concerts and choirs.