The Irish Automobile Club – as it was then known – was formed at a meeting on the night of January 22nd 1901, and is one of the oldest motor clubs in the world. Set up to further and promote the interests of automobilism in Ireland, its first general meeting took place in the Metropole Hotel in Sackville Street (now O’Connell Street), Dublin on March 12th 1901.
The Royal Irish Automobile Club. Founded in 1901, the title’ Royal’ was added in recognition that many of its members donated their cars and drivers to serve as ambulances in World War 1. Even though Ireland has been a republic since 1949 there are still nearly 60 institutions in the city bearing the prefix ‘Royal’.