In recent years, this park in the heart of Rathfarnham village has been lovingly restored by the council to its former glory. It forms part of the original demesne of the adjacent castle. Rathfarnham Castle was built by Adam Loftus in 1588 and the building and extensive demesne remained in the family until 1723 when it was sold to “Speaker” Connolly.
It returned to the Loftus family in 1767 and was restored and redesigned. The home of the Jesuits for many years, the castle was purchased by the State in 1987. It is undergoing extensive restoration at present by the Office of Public Works, while the grounds are under the care of the Council.
The parkland, which compromises the wooded area known as Loyola Park, the open spaces in the area and the lands of Rathfarnham Castle, has been restored giving public access via a pathway system. It has been incorporated into one attractive park and passive recreation area. It includes a pathway system, an extensive woodland and the old lake in the centre of the wood has been re-piped and cleared. A car park has recently been opened with access from the Rathfarnham Bypass.
Download Visit Dublin’s Family Fun Insider Guide to find out more about Family Fun in Dublin.