The Mansion House is the residence of the Lord Mayor of Dublin and has been since 1715.
It was here that the first Dail Eireann, the parliament of the Irish people, assembled in 1919 to adopt Ireland's Declaration of Independence and ratify the proclamation of the Irish Republic by the insurgents of 1916.
The Mansion House was originally built in 1710 for Joshua Dawson, the developer of the street. Five years later it was sold to Dublin City Council (then known as Dublin Corporation) as a residence for its first citizen. Thus Dublin preceded the City of London by some 15 years in providing an official house for its mayor.
Not open to the public.
Download Visit Dublin’s Georgian Insider Guide to find out more about Georgian Dublin.