The Ha'penny Bridge is Dublin's oldest pedestrian crossing over the River Liffey.
The Ha'penny Bridge, officially the Liffey Bridge, was built in 1816, and links Temple Bar to Liffey Street.
It was erected in 1816 as the Wellington Bridge and it acquired its better known nickname from the halfpenny toll levied on all users of the bridge up to 1919.
Before the Ha'penny Bridge was built there were seven ferries, operated by a William Walsh, across the Liffey. The ferries were in a bad condition and Walsh was informed that he had to either fix them or build a bridge. Walsh chose the latter option and was granted the right to extract a hapenny toll from anyone crossing it for 100 years. Initially the toll charge was based, not on the cost of construction, but to match the charges levied by the ferries it replaced. A further condition of construction was that, if the citizens of Dublin found the bridge and toll to be "objectionable" within its ?rst year of operation, it was to be removed at no cost to the city. While the toll was in operation, there were turnstiles at either end the bridge.
It is one of the earliest cast-iron structures of its kind.