This monument is a metal representation of the ribs of a Viking ship. This is a sculpture by Betty Newman-Maguire from 1988 and represents the skeleton of a beached Viking ship. Traditionally, Vikings beached and often burned one of their ships to display their intention of settling permanently at this place. When the Vikings arrived permanently to settle at this spot in 917. They remained, often by the skin of their teeth against the attacks from the native Irish, and were only shifted by the arrival of the Normans in 1170.